I will answer Radu's private e-mail here:

Sorry to bother you ... I am still running in the same problem and I cannot
figure out why.
I have download and recompile the last branch of flink 1.1. I also tried using
the jar snapshot from the website but I get the same error.

What I am doing:
I am creating a new Java project and then I add as external dependencies the
jar files

avatica-1.7.1.jar
calcite-core-1.7.0.jar
calcite-linq4j-1.7.0.jar
eigenbase-properties-1.1.5.jar
flink-dist_2.10-1.1-SNAPSHOT.jar
flink-table_2.10-1.1-SNAPSHOT.jar
guava-18.0.jar

I run the code and get the error.
How are you proceeding? Do you create a maven project (if so can you share the
pom for this example) Or do you add the dependencies like this - if so which
other jars do you have?

You don't have to work much with JARs if you use Maven. Here is how I did it:

1. Create a quickstart project with Flink 1.0.3 (https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.0/quickstart/java_api_quickstart.html)
2. Import it into your IDE
3. Change version in pom.xml to 1.1-SNAPSHOT
4. Add

<dependency> <groupId>org.apache.flink</groupId> <artifactId>flink-table_2.10</artifactId>

to your dependencies.

In general, flink-tableXXX.jar already includes everyting it needs (calcite, avative, eigenbase, etc.).

Hope that helps.