Another (maybe completely crazy) idea is to regard the triggers really as a
DSL and use compiler techniques to derive a state machine that you use to
do the actual triggering.

With this, the "trigger" objects that make up the tree of triggers would
not contain any logic themselves. A trigger specification such as
And(AfterWatermark, Count(5)) would simply be an AST of our "trigger
language" and from this we derive that our trigger waits on the watermark
and also until the element count is at least 5. We would generate a compact
state machine for this that is updated with incoming elements and sometimes
(that's the somewhat tricky) party checked for whether we should fire.

The advantages of this are:
 - Possibly very tight state representation that is known at job
specification time.
 - No dealing with user specified triggers since our DSL is strictly
specified by us

The disadvantages are:
 - No user specified triggers inside the DSL

The last part would be mitigated by still allowing users to write triggers
for the current Trigger API if they want/need all the power that that
provides.

Just some thoughts...

Cheers,
Aljoscha