Hi everybody,

I found a quick and dirty way to make the blocking subpartition readable by
multiple readers. In the JobGraph generation I make all broadcast
partitions blocking (see more details here:
https://github.com/FelixNeutatz/incubator-flink/commits/blockingMultipleReads).
I want to point out that this branch is only experimental!

This works for the simple Map().withBroadcastSet() use case.

To test this approach, I run our peel bundle flink-broadcast (
https://github.com/TU-Berlin-DIMA/flink-broadcast) on the IBM power
cluster. Ibm-power has 8 nodes and we scale the number of slots per node
from 1 - 16:

broadcast.ibm-power-1 broadcast.01 6597.3333333333
broadcast.ibm-power-1 broadcast.02 5997
broadcast.ibm-power-1 broadcast.04 6576.6666666667
broadcast.ibm-power-1 broadcast.08 7024.3333333333
broadcast.ibm-power-1 broadcast.16 6933.3333333333

The last row is the averaged run time in milliseconds over 3 runs. You can
clearly see, that the run time stays constant :)

As discussed, this approach doesn't work yet for native iterations (see
FLINK-1713).

So in the next weeks I will work on the native iterations as Stephan
proposed.

Best regards,
Felix