Nice idea, I like that. I'll join with some HEADS-UP:

  - Till and me started working on FLIP-6 (rework the Yarn/Mesos/standalone
mode) together with some contributors from Alibaba. The work is currently
in a feature branch.

  - As part of that rework, we experimented with a new RPC abstraction that
builds on top of Akka. Think of it as "Flink-flavored typed actors". It has
actually turned out to be very helpful, we plan to write about it in a bit
(once it has converged)

  - Other than that, Ufuk and me did some work on unifying checkpoints and
savepoints. That will make it easier to recover on another cluster from a
regular checkpoint (in case the system gets stuck) and that a regular
savepoint will be used for recovery in the program that created it.