+1 for the FLIP.

I like the described changes and new functionality.

When looking at the public interface, I was wondering whether we should not
allow the user to specify a TimeUnit for the periodic interval. I think
it's nicer to be able to specify the time unit instead of converting
everything to milli seconds.

Cheers,
Till