Hi,

thanks for your comments and questions!
Actually, you are bringing up the points that Timo and I discussed the most
when designing the FLIP ;-)

- We also thought about the syntactic shortcut for running aggregates like
you proposed (table.groupBy(‘a).select(…)). Our motivation to not allow
this shortcut is to prevent users from accidentally performing a
"dangerous" operation. The problem with unbounded sliding row-windows is
that their state does never expire. If you have an evolving key space, you
will likely run into problems at some point because the operator state
grows too large. IMO, a row-window session is a better approach, because it
defines a timeout after which state can be discarded. groupBy.select is a
very common operation in batch but its semantics in streaming are very
different. In my opinion it makes sense to make users aware of these
differences through the API.

- Reassigning timestamps and watermarks is a very delicate issue. You are
right, that Calcite exposes this field which is necessary due to the
semantics of SQL. However, also in Calcite you cannot freely choose the
timestamp attribute for streaming queries (it must be a monotone or
quasi-monotone attribute) which is hard to reason about (and guarantee)
after a few operators have been applied. Streaming tables in Flink will
likely have a time attribute which is identical to the initial rowtime.
However, Flink does modify timestamps internally, e.g., for records that
are emitted from time windows, in order to ensure that consecutive windows
perform as expected. Modify or reassign timestamps in the middle of a job
can result in unexpected results which are very hard to reason about. Do
you have a concrete use case in mind for reassigning timestamps?

- The idea to represent rowtime and systime as object is good. Our
motivation to go for reserved Scala symbols was to have a uniform syntax
with windows over streaming and batch tables. On batch tables you can
compute time windows basically over every time attribute (they are treated
similar to grouping attributes with a bit of extra logic to extract the
grouping key for sliding and session windows). If you write window(Tumble
over 10.minutes on 'rowtime) on a streaming table, 'rowtime would indicate
event-time. On a batch table with a 'rowtime attribute, the same operator
would be internally converted into a group by. By going for the object
approach we would lose this compatibility (or would need to introduce an
additional column attribute to specifiy the window attribute for batch
tables).

As usual some of the design decisions are based on preferences.
Do they make sense to you? Let me know what you think.

Best, Fabian