Hi everyone,

I think syntax in general is a question of taste, it will be hard to make everyone happy. On the one hand it would be great if Table API and SQL could look consistent, but on the other hand there are also some negative aspects:

SQL is a language that has not been developed for todays needs and Stream SQL will basically be a "hack" e.g. by using UDFs like TUMBLE, HOP etc. However, the Table API is a newly designed API and does not need the same hacky solutions.

The Table API should be a fluent API for both Scala and Java. If we are moving windows into the groupBy() call, the question is how this would look like:

.groupBy('col, tumble(12.hours, 'rowtime, 'alias)) OR .groupBy('col, Tumble over 12.hours on 'rowtime as 'alias)

In Java the window definitions would then be defined a string instead of method calls, so it is easier to for the user to make mistakes and there is no Javadoc with explanation.

I think we should decide whether a window is an operator or an expression. If it is an expression we can also allow window definition in .over() clauses. What do you think?

I support the idea of introducing partitionBy().

Regards,
Timo