I just merged the most important backwards compatibility changes, with
tests.

I think this one is still a blocker:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-5320 (WindowedStream.fold()
cannot be used). And this one is a potential blocker for some users:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-5363.

IMHO, we can cut the branch today and I'll get them in on master and both
the 1.2 branch. What do you think?