Hell all,

This is point that has come up in the past: Given the multitude of ML
libraries out there, should we have native implementations in FlinkML or
try to integrate other libraries instead?

We haven't managed to reach a consensus on this before. My opinion is that
there is definitely value in having ML algorithms written natively in
Flink, both for performance optimization,
but more importantly for engineering simplicity, we don't want to force
users to use yet another piece of software to run their ML algos (at least
for a basic set of algorithms).

We have in the past  discussed integrations with DL4J (particularly ND4J)
with Adam Gibson, the core developer of the library, but we never got
around to implementing anything.

Whether it makes sense to have an integration with DL4J as part of the
Flink distribution would be up for discussion. I would suggest to make it
an independent repo to allow for
faster dev/release cycles, and because it wouldn't be directly related to
the core of Flink so it would add extra reviewing burden to an already
overloaded group of committers.

Natively supporting GPU calculations in Flink would be much better achieved
through a library like ND4J, the engineering burden would be too much
otherwise.

Regards,
Theodore