Hi Greg,

On 24 February 2017 at 18:09, Greg Hogan <c...@greghogan.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Vasia, for starting the discussion.
>
> I was expecting more changes from the recent discussion on restructuring
> the project, in particular regarding the libraries. Gelly has always
> collected algorithms and I have personally taken an algorithms-first
> approach for contributions. Is that manageable and maintainable? I'd prefer
> to see no limit to good contributions, and if necessary split the codebase
> or the project.

​I don't think there should be a limit either. I do think though that
development should be community-driven, i.e. not making contributions just
for the sake of it, but evaluating their benefit first.
The library already has a quite long list of algorithms. Shall we keep on
extending it? And if yes, how do we choose which algorithms to add? Do we
accept any algorithm even if it hasn't been asked by anyone? So far, we've
added algorithms that we thought were useful and common. But continuing to
extend the library like this doesn't seem maintainable to me, because we
might end up with a lot of code to maintain that nobody uses. On the other
hand, adding more algorithms might attract more users, so I see a trade-off
there.

> If so, then a secondary goal is to make the algorithms user-accessible and
> easier to review (especially at scale!). FLINK-4949 rewrites
> flink-gelly-examples with modular inputs and algorithms, allows users to
> run all existing algorithms, and makes it trivial to create a driver for
> new algorithms (and when comparing different implementations).

​I'm +1 for anything that makes using existing functionality easier.
FLINK-4949 sounds like a great addition. Could you maybe extend the JIRA
and/or PR description a bit? I understand the rationale but it would be
nice to have a high-level description of the changes and the new
functionality that the PR adds or the interfaces it modifies. Otherwise, it
will be difficult to review a PR with +5k line changes :)

> Regarding BipartiteGraphs, without algorithms or ideas for algorithms it's
> not possible to review the structure of the open pull requests.

​I'm not sure I understand this point. There was a design document and an
extensive discussion on this issue. Do you think we should revisit? Some
common algorithms for bipartitite graphs that I am aware of is SALSA for
recommendations and relevance search for anomaly detection.

> +1 to evaluating performance and promoting Flink!
>
> Gelly has two shepherds whereas CEP and ML share one committer. New
> algorithms in Gelly require new features in the Batch API (Gelly may also
> start doing streaming, we're cool kids, too)

​^^​

> so we need to find a process
> for snuffing ideas early and for the right balance in dependence on core
> committers' time. For example, reworking the iteration scheduler to allow
> for intermediate outputs and nested iterations. Can this feature be
> developed and reviewed within Gelly?

Does it need the blessing of a Stephan
> or Fabian? I'd like to see contributors and committers less dependent on
> the core team and more autonomous.

​What do you mean
​developed and reviewed ​
"within Gelly"?
​This feature would require changes in the batch iterations code and will
probably need to be proposed and reviewed as a FLIP, so it would need the
blessing of the community :)

Having someone who is more familiar with this part of the code help is of
course favorable, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary.

​-V.​