When using the second approach (install followed by 'mvn verify'), I got
the following:

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal on project flink-java8_2.10: Could not
resolve dependencies for project
org.apache.flink:flink-java8_2.10:jar:1.4-SNAPSHOT: Failed to collect
dependencies at
org.apache.flink:flink-examples-batch_2.10:jar:1.4-SNAPSHOT: Failed to read
artifact descriptor for
org.apache.flink:flink-examples-batch_2.10:jar:1.4-SNAPSHOT: Failure to
find
org.apache.flink:flink-examples_${scala.binary.version}:pom:1.4-SNAPSHOT in
https://repository.apache.org/snapshots was cached in the local repository,
resolution will not be reattempted until the update interval of
apache.snapshots has elapsed or updates are forced -> [Help 1]

Looks like ${scala.binary.version} was not substituted for correctly.