Hi devs,

Dian and me and our teammates have investigated this for a long time. We
think consolidating Flink SQL and CEP is an exciting thing for Flink. It'll
make SQL more powerful and give users the ability to easily and quickly
build CEP applications.  And I find Flink community has also talked about
this idea before, such as the mailing list [1] and [2] and Fabian & Till's
talk in Flink Forward 2016 [3].

I think THIS IS THE POINT to bring up this topic again. Because we already
have pattern matching foundation in Flink CEP library, and Stream SQL is
ready now and Calcite has partially supported pattern matching syntax!  We
also drafted a design doc about how to integrate SQL and CEP, and how to
support CEP on Table API.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HaaO5eYI1VZjyhtVPZOi3jVzikU7iK15H0YbniTnN30/edit?usp=sharing

@Fabian, @Timo, @Till, @Kostas I include you into this discussion, it would
be great to hear your response.