Hi Luis,

Flink's default behaviour is to fail all tasks and then redeploying the
tasks with a possible different task to slot mapping.

However, we recently introduced the infrastructure for a more fine-grained
recovery mechanism. With this infrastructure it will be possible to only
restart depended tasks which are effectively the connected components wrt
the job DAG. See FLINK-5869 for more information.

Moreover, we are working on rescheduling tasks to slots which executed the
task before (introducing a scheduling preference). That way we can benefit
from state which is still kept on these machines instead of having to
download it.

So basically, what you are writing is correct but also not as easy as to
implement. Some of the required functionality is already there and more
will follow with the upcoming 1.4 release. if you are interested in helping
out with the implementation then feel welcome!

Cheers,
Till