Hi everyone,

I'm currently thinking about how to implement FLINK-8606. The reason behind it is that Java users are able to see all variables and methods that are declared 'private[flink]' or even 'protected' in Scala. Classes such as TableEnvironment look very messy from the outside in Java. Since we cannot change the visibility of Scala protected members, I was thinking about a bigger change to solve this issue once and for all. My idea is to convert all TableEnvironment classes and maybe the Table class into traits. The actual implementation would end up in some internal classes such as "InternalTableEnvironment" that implement the public traits. The goal would be to stay source code compatible.

What do you think?

Regards,
Timo