Sorry, the missing link for [3] is this:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cOkycJwEKVjG_onnpl3bQNTq7uebh48zDtIJxceyU2E/edit

<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cOkycJwEKVjG_onnpl3bQNTq7uebh48zDtIJxceyU2E/edit>

Regarding build time, I recently merged this change:
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-8911>. It introduces a separation
between "pre-commit-tests" and "nightly-tests". The idea being the the former
are executed for each pull request, as they are now. The latter are executed
nightly or manually if you want to verify a release. This way, the nightly
tests can get quite involved without blowing up build time. What do you think?

Best,
Aljoscha