As an update to this thread, Stephan opted to split the internal/external
configuration (by providing overrides for a common SSL configuration):
https://github.com/apache/flink/pull/6326

Note that Akka doesn't support hostname verification in its 'classic'
remoting implementation (though the new Artery implementation apparently
does), and such verification wouldn't apply to the client certificate
anyway.   So the reality is that one should use a limited truststore (never
the system truststore) for Akka communication.

On the question of routing external communication thru the YARN resource
proxy or Mesos/DCOS admin router, the value proposition is:
a) simplifies service discovery on the part of external clients,
b) permits single sign-on (SSO) be delegating authentication to a central
authority,
c) facilitates access from outside the cluster, via a public address.
The main challenge is that the Flink client code must support a more
diverse array of authentication methods, e.g. Kerberos when communicating
with the YARN proxy.

Given #6326, the next steps would be (unordered):
a) create an umbrella issue for the overall effort
b) dive into the authorization work for external communication
c) implement auto-generation of a certificate for internal communication
d) implement TLS on queryable state interface (FLINK-5029)

I'll take care of (a) unless there is any objection.
-Eron