Kafka Streams handles this problem, time alignment, by processing records
from the partitions with the lowest timestamp in a best effort basis.
See KIP-353 for the details.  The same could be done within the Kafka
source and multiple input stream operators.  I opened FLINK-4558
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-4558> a while ago regarding
this topic.