Hi everyone,

in this email thread
<http://apache-flink-mailing-list-archive.1008284.n3.nabble.com/DISCUSS-Flink-Cluster-Overview-Dashboard-Improvement-Proposal-td24531.html>
and the tickets FLINK-10705
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-10705> and FLINK-10706
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-10706> the discussion came up
whether to change the underlying architecture of Flink's Web Dashboard from
Angular1 to something else. This email thread should be solely to discuss
the pro's and con's of this, and what could be the target architecture.

My choice would be React. Personally I agree with Till's comments in the
ticket, Angular 1 being basically outdated and is not having a large
following anymore. From my experience the choice between Angular 2-7 or
React is subjective, you can get things done with both. I personally only
have experience with React, so I  personally would be faster to develop
with this one. I currently have not planned to learn Angular as well (being
a more backend focused developer in general) so if the decision would be to
go with Angular, i would be unfortunately out of this rework of the Flink
Dashboard most certainly.

Additionally i would like to get rid of bower, since its officially
deprecated <https://bower.io/blog/2017/how-to-migrate-away-from-bower/>. my
idea would be to just use a create-react-app package with npm and webpack
under the hood. no need for additional lib's here imho. But again: thats
mostly what i've been working with recently, so thats a subjective point. I
could imagine getting used to yarn in the future as well.

Cheers
Fabian

--

*Fabian WollertZalando SE*