Hi,

For the trigger, it depends on what operator we want to use under the API.
If we choose to use window operator,
we should also use window's trigger. However, I also think reuse window
operator for this scenario may not be
the best choice. The reasons are the following:

1. As a lot of people already pointed out, window relies heavily on state
and it will definitely effect performance. You can
 argue that one can use heap based statebackend, but this will introduce
extra coupling. Especially we have a chance to
design a pure stateless operator.
2. The window operator is *the most* complicated operator Flink currently
have. Maybe we only need to pick a subset of
window operator to achieve the goal, but once the user wants to have a deep
look at the localAggregation operator, it's still
hard to find out what's going on under the window operator. For simplicity,
I would also recommend we introduce a dedicated
lightweight operator, which also much easier for a user to learn and use.

For your question about increasing the burden in
`StreamOperator::prepareSnapshotPreBarrier()`, the only thing this function
need
to do is output all the partial results, it's purely cpu workload, not
introducing any IO. I want to point out that even if we have this
cost, we reduced another barrier align cost of the operator, which is the
sync flush stage of the state, if you introduced state. This
flush actually will introduce disk IO, and I think it's worthy to exchange
this cost with purely CPU workload. And we do have some
observations about these two behavior (as i said before, we actually
implemented both solutions), the stateless one actually performs
better both in performance and barrier align time.

Best,
Kurt