Dear community,

happy to share this weeks community update with Apache Flink 1.9, bylaws
for Apache Flink, Savepoints vs Checkpoints, Flink on ARM, and more.

As always, please feel free to add additional updates and news to this
thread!

Flink Development
===============

* [releases] The release branch for *Apache Flink 1.9.0 *has been cut lasat
Thursday and we are moving on to release testing. [1]

* [development process] Following the discussion on our FLIP process.
Becket has initiated a discussion [2] on writing up *bylaws for Apache
Flink*, a set of rules governing the core processes of the community. The
plan to add bylaws was very well received and the discussion quickly moved
to the first draft [3] of these bylaws.

[development process] The migration of our CI infrastructure [4] to a
non-ASF Travis account [5] has been implemented very quickly by Chesnay.
Updates to the *CI bot *are currently discussed in a new thread [6].

* [development process] Robert opened a PR [7] to add the *code style and
quality guide* to the contribution guide on the Apache Flink website. If
you have not checked out the guide yet, now is good time ;)

* [docs] In the course of FLIP-42 Konstantin added a first version of a
*glossary* [8] to the Flink documentation defining frequently used terms
like Operators, Task, Partition, a.s.o. This can help us to use a common
terminology in our documentation as well as on the mailing lists.

* [state management] Kostas has started a FLIP(-47) [9] on how to think
about *savepoints* *vs* *checkpoints* in the future. In a nutshell, the
FLIP proposes to waive the distinction between savepoints & checkpoints:
both would simply be snapshots. Each snapshot can have different properties
depending on its origin (system/user) and format (incremental,
universal,...). The topic has also been addressed by Yu Li in FLIP-45 [10]
recently.

* [build] Xiyuan Wang has started a discussion about officially
supporting *Apache
Flink on ARM*-based systems. It looks like there are no big blockers on the
technical side and the discussion currently focuses on integrating an
ARM-based build into our CI infrastructure. [11]

[1]
http://apache-flink-mailing-list-archive.1008284.n3.nabble.com/ANNOUNCE-Flink-1-9-release-branch-has-been-created-tp30500.html
[2]
http://apache-flink-mailing-list-archive.1008284.n3.nabble.com/DISCUSS-Flink-project-bylaws-tp30409.html
[3]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=120731026
[4]
http://apache-flink-mailing-list-archive.1008284.n3.nabble.com/DISCUSS-solve-unstable-build-capacity-problem-on-TravisCI-tp29881.html
[5] https://travis-ci.com/flink-ci
[6]
http://apache-flink-mailing-list-archive.1008284.n3.nabble.com/CiBot-Update-td30536.html
[7] https://github.com/apache/flink-web/pull/224
[8]
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-master/concepts/glossary.html
[9]
http://apache-flink-mailing-list-archive.1008284.n3.nabble.com/FLIP-47-Savepoints-vs-Checkpoints-tp30324.html
[10]
http://apache-flink-mailing-list-archive.1008284.n3.nabble.com/DISCUSS-FLIP-45-Reinforce-Job-Stop-Semantic-tp30161.html
[11]
http://apache-flink-mailing-list-archive.1008284.n3.nabble.com/DISCUSS-ARM-support-for-Flink-td30298.html

Notable Bugs
===========

Quite a lot of bugs are being opened right now, but these are basically all
related to release testing for Flink 1.9 or test instabilities - hence not
affecting released versions of Apache Flink.

[FLINK-11654] [1.7.2] [1.8.1] I recently sumbled across this tickcet of the
(exatly-once) FlinkKafkaProducer, which was already created back in
February. When running multiple instances of the same Flink program with an
exactly-once FlinkKafkaProducer, the transational ids used by these
producers can clash (both jobs use the same ids) and the jobs crash
frequently. The resolution is currently under discussion. [12]

Events, Blog Posts, Misc
====================

* *Flink Forward Europ*e early-bird ends on the 15th of July. [13]
* Upcoming Meetups
    * On 18th of July *Christos Hadjinikolis* is speaking at the "Big Data
LDN Meetup" on "How real-time data processing is used for application in
customer experience?" [14]
* Rong Rong is now an Apache Flink Committer. Congratulations! [15]

[13] https://berlin-2019.flink-forward.org/
[14] https://www.meetup.com/big-data-ldn/events/262638878/
[15]
http://apache-flink-mailing-list-archive.1008284.n3.nabble.com/ANNOUNCE-Rong-Rong-becomes-a-Flink-committer-td30451.html#a30474

Cheers and have a nice evening,

Konstantin (@snntrable)

--

Konstantin Knauf | Solutions Architect

+49 160 91394525

Ververica GmbH
Managing Directors: Dr. Kostas Tzoumas, Dr. Stephan Ewen