Hi Kurt,

I posted my opinion around this particular example in FLINK-13225.

Regarding the definition of "feature freeze": I think it is good to write down more of the implicit processes that we had in the past. The bylaws, coding guidelines, and a better FLIP process are very good steps towards the right direction. However, not everything can be written down and formulized. We should also remind ourselves of basic software engineering principles. Merging a feature shortly before the actual release is always dangerous. A feature needs time to settle down and be tested for side-effects etc. Merging a feature with a lot of spaghetti code, reflection magic, and a single IT case is not a complete feature that is worth merging.

I hope we can improve here for the next release. Thanks for the open discussion.

Regards,
Timo