Thanks a lot for starting the discussion Chesnay!

I would like to throw in another aspect into the discussion: What if we
consider this repo split as a first step towards making connectors, machine
learning, gelly, table/SQL? independent projects within the ASF, with their
own mailing lists, committers and JIRA?

Of course, we would not establish the new repos as new projects
immediately, but after we have found good boundaries between the projects
(interfaces, tests, documentation, communities) (6-24 months)

Each project (or repo initially) would create separate releases, and depend
on stable versions.

This allows each project to come up with their own release cadence.

Also, the projects could establish their own processes. A connectors
project would probably have more turnover in terms of new connector
contributions, so something like a “connector incubator” would make sense?
A “young” machine learning project might benefit from a monthly release
model initially.

I see this as a way of establishing different standards based on the
requirements of each project (the concern of double standards has been
voiced)

With a clearer “separation of concerns”, the connector project would report
bugs to upstream Flink, they would fix & test it. In the current setup, the
bug might just be validated through the connector test. A split would force
upstream Flink to have a proper test in place.

To some extend, Flink is already a project that contains different
sub-communities, working on the core, table api or machine learning.

Maybe Flink’s growth (from a development perspective) is limited by the
noise and complexity of having multiple sub-communities within one
community?

Throughout this discussion so far, various issues have been mentioned, that
would solve naturally if we have that mindset:

a) Depending on SNAPSHOT versions / releases:

The new repos would depend on stable flink releases. Interface changes, bug
fixes would have to wait for the next upstream flink release.

PRs would be reproducible. Local setups would be easy, as downstream
projects depend on a stable upstream Flink release.

b) Number of pull requests:

The concern is that the number of open pull requests would not decrease
with a repo split.

If we consider splitted repositories independent projects, they can attract
their own contributors / committers. In particular for machine learning and
SQL, I can actually see a lot of potential for attracting new PR reviewers.

I'm putting this thought out just to see what you are thinking about this
in general. This is not a final proposal for solving all issues mentioned
here :) But if we do a split now, let's do something future-proof, even if
it is painful in the short run.

Best,
Robert