Hi Timo,

I think I might have misunderstood the scope or motivation of the FLIP a
little bit. Please let me clarify a little bit.

Regarding "great if we don't put this burden on users", we should
> consider who is actually using this API. It is not first-level API but
> mostly API for Flink contributors. Most of the users will use API
> classes ike ExecutionConfig or TableConfig or other builders for
> performing configuration. They will never use the ConfigOptions classes
> directly. So enforcing a duplicate method does not sound like a burden
> to me.

I thought the configuration will be used by all the plugins and components
such as connectors. If that is the case, the Configuration sounds a public
API just like UDF. So one may implement a plugin and set that plugin class
in the configuration. Flink will do something like following:

// Define the Plugin ConfigOption. SomePluginInterface extends Configurable.
ConfigOption<SomePluginInterface> option =
    ConfigOptions.key("pluginConfigKey")

 .ConfigurableType(org.apache.flink.SomePluginInterface.class);

// Instantiate the user configured plugin
SomePluginInterface plugin =
configuration.getConfigurableInstance(pluginConfigKey);

// Programmatically, users will do the following to set the plugin.
// Set the plugin class, alternatively, we can always require a
ConfigurableFactory class as value.
configurations.setConfigurable("pluginConfigKey", MyPluginClass.class);
configurations.setInt("configKey1ForMyPluginClass", 123); // set the
configurations required by my plugin class.

// Non-programmatically, users can do the following to set the plugin in a
config file, e.g. yaml
pluginConfigKey: PATH_TO_MyPluginClass // Or PATH_TO_MyPluginClassFactory
configKey1ForMyPluginClass: 123

Internally, the configuration may discover the MyPluginClassFactory, call
MyPluginClassFactory.create(Configuration) and pass in itself as the
configuration argument.

>From user's perspective, the way to use Configurable is the following:
1. Set a class type of the Plugin in the configuration via Configuration
interface.
2. Provide a factory class for the Plugin, either by config value or by
service provider mechanism.
3. Set the configurations consumed by the plugin, via something like a yaml
file, or programmatically via Configuration interface.

How would the util that you are suggesting look like? It would always
> need to serialize/deserialize an object into an immutable string. This
> is not very efficient, given that the instance already exists and can be
> made immutable by the implementer by not exposing setters. Furthermore,
> we would loose the declarative approach and could not generate
> documentation. The current approach specifies the static final
> sub-ConfigOptions either in Configurable object (initial design) or in
> the ConfigurableFactory (current design) such that the docs generator
> can read them.

I'd imagine that in most cases, after a concrete Configurable (say
ExecutionConfig) instance is created from the Configuration instance, we
will just pass around the ExecutionConfig instead of the Configuration
object. If so, the serialization to / deserialization from String will only
happen once per JVM, which seems fine. I am not sure why the doc generation
would be impacted. As long as the ConfigOptions go into the Configurable or
ConfigurableFactory, the docs generator can still read them, right?

Regarding "Configurable may be created and configured directly without
> reading settings from a Configuration instance", there seems to be a
> misunderstanding. This is a very common case if not the most common. As
> mentioned before, take ExecutionConfig. This configuration is currently
> only used in a programmatic-way and needs a way to be expressed as
> ConfigOptions. CachedFile for instance will be a Configurable object
> that will binary serialized most of the time when sending it to the
> cluster but due to the Configurable design it is possible to store it in
> a string representation as well.

Thanks for the explanation. I feel this creating object then serialize /
deserialize using configuration is more of an internal use case. We are
essentially using the configurations to pass some arbitrary string around.
Technically speaking we can use this way to send and receive any object.
But I am not sure if this is something that we want to generalize and
impact more public use cases.
Personally I feel that Configurable
As for CachedFile, it seems we do not plan to use configuration to pass
that on? It would be good to avoid letting the Configurations to host
arbitrary objects beyond the primitive types.

To summarize, I am thinking if we should consider the following:
1. Design the Config mechanism as a cross-board API for not only internal
usage, but for broader use cases.
2. If writeToConfiguration is only for internal use cases, maybe we can
avoid adding it to the configurable interface. We can add another interface
such as ExtractableConfigurable for internal usage.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Jiangjie (Becket) Qin