Hi Timo,

Re> 1) We should not have the restriction "hive built-in functions can only
> be used when current catalog is hive catalog". Switching a catalog
> should only have implications on the cat.db.object resolution but not
> functions. It would be quite convinient for users to use Hive built-ins
> even if they use a Confluent schema registry or just the in-memory
catalog.

There might be a misunderstanding here.

First of all, Hive built-in functions are not part of Flink built-in
functions, they are catalog functions, thus if the current catalog is not a
HiveCatalog but, say, a schema registry catalog, ambiguous functions
reference just shouldn't be resolved to a different catalog.

Second, Hive built-in functions can potentially be referenced across
catalog, but it doesn't have db namespace and we currently just don't have
a SQL syntax for it. It can be enabled when such a SQL syntax is defined,
e.g. "catalog::function", but it's out of scope of this FLIP.

2) I would propose to have separate concepts for catalog and built-in
functions. In particular it would be nice to modularize built-in
functions. Some built-in functions are very crucial (like AS, CAST,
MINUS), others are more optional but stable (MD5, CONCAT_WS), and maybe
we add more experimental functions in the future or function for some
special application area (Geo functions, ML functions). A data platform
team might not want to make every built-in function available. Or a
function module like ML functions is in a different Maven module.

I think this is orthogonal to this FLIP, especially we don't have the
"external built-in functions" anymore and currently the built-in function
category remains untouched.

But just to share some thoughts on the proposal, I'm not sure about it:
- I don't know if any other databases handle built-in functions like that.
Maybe you can give some examples? IMHO, built-in functions are system info
and should be deterministic, not depending on loaded libraries. Geo
functions should be either built-in already or just libraries functions,
and library functions can be adapted to catalog APIs or of some other
syntax to use
- I don't know if all use cases stand, and many can be achieved by other
approaches too. E.g. experimental functions can be taken good care of by
documentations, annotations, etc
- the proposal basically introduces some concept like a pluggable built-in
function catalog, despite the already existing catalog APIs
- it brings in even more complicated scenarios to the design. E.g. how do
you handle built-in functions in different modules but different names?

In short, I'm not sure if it really stands and it looks like an overkill to
me. I'd rather not go to that route. Related discussion can be on its own
thread.

3) Following the suggestion above, we can have a separate discovery
mechanism for built-in functions. Instead of just going through a static
list like in BuiltInFunctionDefinitions, a platform team should be able
to select function modules like
catalogManager.setFunctionModules(CoreFunctions, GeoFunctions,
HiveFunctions) or via service discovery;

Same as above. I'll leave it to its own thread.

re > 3) Dawid and I discussed the resulution order again. I agree with Kurt
> that we should unify built-in function (external or internal) under a
> common layer. However, the resolution order should be:
>   1. built-in functions
>   2. temporary functions
>   3. regular catalog resolution logic
> Otherwise a temporary function could cause clashes with Flink's built-in
> functions. If you take a look at other vendors, like SQL Server they
> also do not allow to overwrite built-in functions.

”I agree with Kurt that we should unify built-in function (external or
internal) under a common layer.“ <- I don't think this is what Kurt means.
Kurt and I are in favor of unifying built-in functions of external systems
and catalog functions. Did you type a mistake?

Besides, I'm not sure about the resolution order you proposed. Temporary
functions have a lifespan over a session and are only visible to the
session owner, they are unique to each user, and users create them on
purpose to be the highest priority in order to overwrite system info
(built-in functions in this case).

In your case, why would users name a temporary function the same as a
built-in function then? Since using that name in ambiguous function
reference will always be resolved to built-in functions, creating a
same-named temp function would be meaningless in the end.