There's no JIRA and no one actively working on it. I'm not aware of any investigations on the matter; hence the first step would be to just try it out.

A flink-shaded artifact isn't a hard requirement; Flink will work with any 2.X hadoop distribution (provided that there aren't any dependency clashes).