Thanks for summarising the discussion points, Till.

# Configuration

## Env variables
Agree, this looks like an independent effort.

## dynamic program arguments
Indeed, jobmanager.sh needs small extension. It can be addressed
independently but I think it has chance to be addressed in this release
cycle.
taskmanager.sh/flink-console.sh/flink-daemon.sh look already fit for this
from what I see.
On the other hand, we already have FLINK_PROPERTIES and indeed we can keep
it until we have env vars.

## FLINK_PROPERTIES
I am not really saying to remove this right now. Indeed, it has been
already exposed and should stay for the backwards-compatibility at the
moment.
I was just wondering whether we could maintain/advertise less approaches in
future but which are good enough for users.
The benefit of env vars / dynamic args approaches is that they are supposed
to be already supported by Flink scripts out of the box
and would have almost no maintenance for us on the docker side.
On the other hand, I can also see that setting FLINK_PROPERTIES may be
easier in certain cases comparing to generation of env vars / dynamic args.

@Thomas Weise <t...@apache.org>
The current duplication may be fixed by setting the hardcoded ports
after FLINK_PROPERTIES if they are not set.
We can look at it during implementation in detail.

## flink_docker_utils configure "option.name" “value”
The previously discussed options are mostly for running the official image.
This scripted action is mostly for custom Dockerfiles or custom entry point
scripts extending the official image
where somebody wants to ship a preconfigured custom image.
This action would already deduplicate a lot of code for the ports which are
set to hardcoded values in the entry point script of the official
Dockerfile:

if grep -E "^blob\.server\.port:.*" "${CONF_FILE}"; then
    sed -i -e "s/blob.server.port:*/blob.server.port: 6124/g" "${CONF_FILE}"
else
    echo "blob.server.port: 6124" >> "${CONF_FILE}"
fi

If we are in doubt to document this for the users and expose as API, we do
not have to do it and expose later if needed.
I am ok to remove 'flink_docker_utils set_web_ui_port 8081' from FLIP.

# Logging

## Logging
The idea was to fix the existing console logging properties to log also
into files to fix Web UI [1].
Then we can just use Flink scripts with 'start-foreground' argument to log
into the stdout and files.

## Stdout/err

### Console
I think the stdout/stderr of Flink process might end up in the
container stdout/stderr if we run it in 'start-foreground' mode [2] (needs
checking).

### Local files
The proposal with the *tee* command looks promising. I would prefer to
write stdout/err into separate files and preserve them as stdout/err for
container logs.
This needs more experiments but may be possible with the *tee* command. I
suggest to check the details in PRs.

# Java/Python/Dev versiona
Shipping official images with various versions can be addressed
independently.

Best,
Andrey

[1]