Hi Chesnay,

thanks for kicking this discussion off. I agree that deduplicating code is
in general a good idea.

The main benefit seems to be that all modules inherit a
log4j2-test.properties file and that this file allows to control the
logging output for several modules.

The main drawback I see is that it complicates the debugging process for
our devs. If you want to debug a problem and need logging for this, then
you have to know that there is a log4j2-test.properties file in
flink-test-utils-junit which you can tweak. At the moment, it is quite
straight forward as you simply go to the module which contains the test and
check the resources folder.

If we are ok with this drawback and document the change properly, then I'm
fine with this change.

Cheers,
Till