Hello everyone,

Currently, all development in docker-flink occurs on the master branch, for all releases at once. The master branch also serves as a publishing area for our docker files.

This means that all versions share the same generators, templates (i.e., production code that we plugin in some variables like the Flink version) and test setup.

So far this worked fine because all versions worked the same, but we are now coming to a point where we are adding version-specific features, like support for Java 11 (FLINK-16260) and per-job-clusters (FLINK-17164).

By virtue of all files being shared this means that we would have to introduce version checks in both the generators, templates and test code, so things continue to work for all versions. This is rather painful to do, and presents maintenance problems as these conditions must of course be updated at some point, and diverging behaviors require all versions to be tested on each PR (in contrast to the current state where we only test 1 version).

It is also simply different to the process we're using for flink/flink-shaded, creating an additional entry barrier.

I propose moving the development of the docker files into dedicated branches (dev-master, dev-1.10, dev-1.9). PullRequests will usually be opened against dev-master, possibly ported to other versions, and when it is time for a release we will update the master branch with the latest dockerfiles. Quite similar to how things work in the Flink repo.

The master branch would continue to be our release publishing area to stick to docker conventions.

Regards,

Chesnay