Thanks for the summary Konstantin.
I think you got all points right.

IMO, the way forward would be to work on a FLIP to define
* the concept of temporal tables,
* how to feed them from retraction tables
* how to feed them from append-only tables
* their specification with CREATE TEMPORAL TABLE,
* how to use temporal tables in temporal table joins
* how (if at all) to use temporal tables in other types of queries

We would keep the LATERAL TABLE syntax because it used for regular
table-valued functions.
However, we would probably remove the TemporalTableFunction (which is a
built-in table-valued function) after we deprecated it for a while.

Cheers, Fabian

Am Do., 7. Mai 2020 um 18:03 Uhr schrieb Konstantin Knauf <kna...@apache.org