+1 That's also how I think of the semantics of the fields.

Aljoscha

On 22.05.20 08:07, Robert Metzger wrote:
Hi all,

I have the feeling that the semantics of some of our JIRA fields (mostly
"affects versions", "fix versions" and resolve / close) are not defined in
the same way by all the core Flink contributors, which leads to cases where
I spend quite some time on filling the fields correctly (at least what I
consider correctly), and then others changing them again to match their
semantics.
In an effort to increase our efficiency, and since I'm creating a lot of
(test instability-related) tickets these days, I would like to discuss the
semantics, come to a conclusion and document this in our Wiki.

*Proposal:*

*Priority:*
"Blocker": needs to be resolved before a release (matched based on fix
versions)
"Critical": strongly considered before a release
other priorities have no practical meaning in Flink.

*Component/s:*
Primary component relevant for this feature / fix.
For test-related issues, add the component the test belongs to (for example
"Connectors / Kafka" for Kafka test failures) + "Test".
The same applies for documentation tickets. For example, if there's
something wrong with the DataStream API, add it to the "API / DataStream"
and "Documentation" components.

*Affects Version/s:*Only for Bug / Task-type tickets: We list all currently
supported and unreleased Flink versions known to be affected by this.

Example: If I see a test failure that happens on "master" and
"release-1.11", I set "affects version" to "1.12.0" and "1.11.0".

*Fix Version/s:*
For closed/resolved tickets, this field lists the released Flink versions
that contain a fix or feature for the first time.
For open tickets, it indicates that a fix / feature should be contained in
the listed versions. Only blocker issues can block a release, all other
tickets which have "fix version/s" set at the time of a release and are
unresolved will be moved to the next version.

*Assignee:*
Person currently working on the ticket. Assigned after conclusion on
approach by a committer.
Often, fixes are obvious and committers self-assign w/o discussion.

*Resolve / Close:*
You can either Resolve or Close a ticket once it is done (fixed, rejected,
invalid, ...).

As a rule, we Close tickets instead of Resolving them when they are done.

Background: There are semantic differences for Resolve and Close
(implementor vs reporter considers it done), but I don't see how they
practically apply to the Flink project. Looking at the numbers, Flink has
11066 closed tickets, and 3372 resolved tickets (that's why I propose to
close instead of resolve)

*Labels:*
"test-stability" for all test instabilities
"starter" for tickets suitable for new contributors

*Release Note:*
Small notes that will be included into the release notes published with the
release.

*All other fields are not used not used on a regular basis.*

Please +1 my proposal if you want it to be published in our Wiki like that
or let me know if I got something wrong here.

Best,
Robert