Hi everyone,

I recently stumbled across the fact that Savepoints created with Flink 1.11
can not be read by Flink 1.10. A use case for this might be when you want
to rollback a framework upgrade (after some time) due to e.g. a performance
or stability issue.

>From the documentation [1] it seems as if the Savepoint format is generally
only forward-compatible although in many cases it is actually also
backwards compatible (e.g. Savepoint taken in Flink 1.10, restored with
Flink 1.9).

Was it a deliberate choice not to document any backwards compatibility? If
not, should we add the missing entries in the compatibility table?

Thanks,

Konstantin

[1]
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-master/ops/upgrading.html#compatibility-table