Hi everyone,

Yes, just to help user distinguish the difference between versioned
> temporal table and  latest-only temporal table.

I don't think we help users to understand the differences if we invent new
(IMO confusing) terms ("temporal table without version" or "latest-only
temporal table") instead of using known terminology ("table").

> As I suggested before, it might make sense to choose a different name for
> this join instead of using a fancy name for the tables such that the name
> fits the name of the join.
>
> I think lookup join is a physical implementation of Processing-Time
> temporal table join, we can even offer a lookup join implementation for
> Event-time temporal table join if the external system support lookup
> history data.
>
> Versioned temporal table can be used in Event-time temporal table join,
> all temporal table(including versioned temporal tale and regular table) can
> be used in Processing-time temporal table join,
> lookup join is a kind of physical implementation of  Processing-time
> temporal table join which lookups the external system’s data.

Lookup Join was just a quick shot proposal without putting much thought
into it, but a different name might help to solve the naming issue with
"temporal table without versions".
Another proposal would be "Version Join" or "Table Version Join".

> If we agree regular tables are temporal table, I tend to keep latest-only
> temporal table to clarify the temporal and version concept in regular table.

In my understanding access to a table's history is the core property of
temporal tables (that's also how temporal tables are defined for SQL Server
[1] or PostgreSQL [2]).
A "temporal table without versions"or "latest-only temporal table" is just
a table. It does not have any other property than all the tables we've
always dealt with.

So I would say that there are temporal tables (for which earlier versions
can be accessed) and just tables like those that our users have always used
so far (for which there are no earlier versions).

Maybe it's just me, but "temporal table without versions" or "latest-only
temporal table" sound like contradictions to me, similar to "tiny
skyscraper".

How about we try to get a few more opinions on this?
What do others think about this issue?

> Best
> Leonard

Best,