Hi,

I'll only respond regarding the parallelism for now because I need to think some more about DataStream.

What I'm saying is that exposing a parallelism only for Table Connectors is not the right thing. If we want to allow sources to tell the system/framework what would be a good parallelism it would be at the underlying level.

I'll explain with the SourceFunction. A Table API Source connector is basically a factory that will give you a SourceFunction that corresponds to whatever the user configured via properties and other means. If the Table Connector somehow happens to know what would be a good parallelism for the source it could "tell" the source when creating it, i.e.

  new MyRealSource(path, and, whatnot, parallelismHint)

Then the source could either work with that information it got, by shutting down (at runtime) some of its parallel instances. Or we could extend the Source (SourceFunction) API to expose a "parallelism hint" to the system.

The basic thing is that Table Connectors are not the real connectors, they just delegate to underlying real connectors. So those underlying connectors are where we need to change things. Otherwise we would just have special-case solutions for the Table API.

Best,
Aljoscha