Thanks for preparing the FLIP and starting the discussion, Robert.

## Cluster vs. Job configuration
As I have commented on the FLIP-160 discussion thread [1], I'm a bit unsure
about activating the reactive execution mode via a cluster level
configuration option. I'm aware that in the first step this feature does
not support session clusters. However, I think that does not mean it won't
be supported in future. In that case, the cluster configuration option will
limit us from having jobs running with different execution modes in the
same session cluster.

## Active resource managers
According to the FLIP, this feature explicitly does not support active
resource managers. IIUC, this is because when in this feature the job
requests an infinite amount of resources, which would flood Kubernetes /
Yarn / Mesos with unreasonably large number of resource requests. If this
is the only concern, I'd like to bring the configuration option
`slotmanager.number-of-slots.max` to your attention. This feature allows
putting an upper limit to the total number of slots the Flink cluster uses,
preventing active resource managers from allocating too many resources from
Kubernetes / Yarn / Mesos. Unless there are other concerns that I
overlooked, I think it would be nicer for the reactive mode to also support
active resource managers, with the additional requirement to explicitly
configure the max slots.

Thank you~

Xintong Song

[1]