Hi devs!

I wanted to bring up something that was discussed in a few independent
groups of people in the past days. I'd like to revise using timeouts in
our JUnit tests. The suggestion would be not to use them anymore. The
problem with timeouts is that we have no thread dump and stack traces of
the system as it hangs. If we were not using a timeout, the CI runner
would have caught the timeout and created a thread dump which often is a
great starting point for debugging.

This problem has been spotted e.g. during debugging FLINK-22416[1]. In
the past thread dumps were not always taken for hanging tests, but it
was changed quite recently in FLINK-21346[2]. I am happy to hear your
opinions on it. If there are no objections I would like to add the
suggestion to the Coding Guidelines[3]

Best,

Dawid

https://flink.apache.org/contributing/code-style-and-quality-java.html#java-language-features-and-libraries