Thanks for bringing this up.

I have one thought about the release period. In a short word: shall we try
to extend the release period for 1 month?

There are a couple of reasons why I want to bring up this proposal.

1) I observed that lots of users are actually far behind the current Flink
version. For example, we are now actively
developing 1.14 but most users I know who have a migration or upgrade plan
are planning to upgrade to 1.12. This means
we need to back port bug fixes to 1.12 and 1.13. If we extend the release
period by 1 month, I think there may be some
chances that users can have a proper time frame to upgrade to the previous
released version. Then we can have a
good development cycle which looks like "actively developing the current
version and making the previous version stable,
not 2 ~ 3 versions before". Always far away from Flink's latest version
also suppresses the motivation to contribute to Flink
from users perspective.

2) Increasing the release period also eases the workload of committers
which I think can improve the contributor experience.
I have seen several times that when some contributors want to do some new
features or improvements, we have to response
with "sorry we are right now focusing with implementing/stabilizing planned
feature for this version", and the contributions are
mostly like being stalled and never brought up again.

BTW extending the release period also has downsides. It slows down the
delivery speed of new features. And I'm also not
sure how much it can improve the above 2 issues.

Looking forward to hearing some feedback from the community, both users and
developers.

Best,
Kurt