Hi Jing,

AFAIK most of the pain is caused by lack of backward compatibility (binary).

And to make sure I'm not adding to the confusion: It would be
necessary to be able to run the iceberg connector built against Flink
1.12 with a Flink 1.13 distribution. That would solve most problems
downstream projects like Iceberg, Beam etc. face today. Those projects
could then publish their artifacts built against the lowest Flink
version they support and rest assured users with newer versions of
Flink don't run into trouble.

Thanks,
Thomas