Hi team,

I’d like to start a discussion about FLIP-222 [1], which adds query lifecycle
statements to SQL client.

Currently, SQL client supports submitting queries (queries in a broad sense,
including DQLs and DMLs) but no further lifecycle statements, like canceling
a query or triggering a savepoint. That makes SQL users have to rely on
CLI or REST API to manage theirs queries.

Thus, I propose to introduce the following statements to fill the gap.
SHOW QUERIES
STOP QUERY <query_id>
CANCEL QUERY <query_id>
TRIGGER SAVEPOINT <savepoint_path>
DISPOSE SAVEPOINT <savepoint_path>
These statement would align SQL client with CLI, providing the full lifecycle
management for queries/jobs.

Please see the FLIP page[1] for more details. Thanks a lot!
(For reference, the previous discussion thread see [2].)

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/FLIP-222%3A+Support+full+query+lifecycle+statements+in+SQL+client

<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/FLIP-222:+Support+full+query+lifecycle+statements+in+SQL+client>
[2] https://lists.apache.org/thread/wr47ng0m2hdybjkrwjlk9ftwg403odqb