Thanks for pushing this effort.

I'd actually be in favor of 1b). I fully agree that decorator interfaces
should be avoided but I'm also not a big fan of overloading the base
interfaces (they are hard to implement as is). The usual feedback to
Source-related interfaces are always that they are overwhelming and too
hard to implement. However, I'd also not oppose 1c) as scattered interfaces
also have drawbacks. I'd just dislike 1a) and 1d).
While I also like Becket's capability approach, I fear that it doesn't work
for this particular use case: Sources can always be aligned cross-task and
this is just about intra-task alignment. So it's plausible to put sources
into an alignment group even though they do not use any of the presented
API of FLIP-217. They should just issue a warning, if they handle multiple
splits (see motivation section).

I think renaming alignSplits to facilitate future use cases makes sense but
then all interfaces (if 1c) is chosen) should be adjusted accordingly.
AlignedSourceReader could be PausingSourceReader and I'd go for
pauseOrResumeSplits (Becket's proposal afaik). We could also split it into
pauseSplit and resumeSplit. While pauseOrResumeSplits may allow Sources to
just use 1 instead of 2 library calls (as written in the Javadoc), both
Kafka and Pulsar can't use it and I'm not sure if there is a system that
can.

Some nit for the FLIP:
- Please replace "stop" with "pause".
- Not sure if it's worth it in the capability section: Sources that adopt
this interface cannot be used in earlier versions. So it feels like we are
only forward compatible (old sources can be used after the change); but I
guess this holds for any API addition.
- You might want to add what happens when all splits are paused.
- You may want to describe how the 3 flavors of SourceReaderBase interact
with the interface.
- I'm not sure if it makes sense to include Kafka and Pulsar in the FLIP.
For me, this is rather immediate follow-up work. (could be in the same
umbrella ticket)

Best,

Arvid