Hi Nicholas,

Thanks a lot for bringing up this discussion. If I recall it correctly,
this feature has been requested many times by the users and is among one of
the most requested features in CEP. So big +1 to this feature overall.

Regarding the API, the name `partialWithin` sounds a little weird. Is it
possible to find a name which is more intuitive? Other possible solutions:
- Reuse the existing `Pattern.within` method and change its semantic to the
maximum time interval between patterns. Currently `Pattern.within` is used
to define the maximum time interval between the first event and the last
event. However, the Pattern object represents only one node in a pattern
sequence and so it doesn't make much sense to define the maximum time
interval between the first event and the last event on the Pattern object,
e.g. we could move it to  `PatternStreamBuilder`. However, if we choose
this option, we'd better consider how to keep backward compatibility.
- Introduce a series of methods when appending a new pattern to the
existing one, e.g. `Pattern.followedBy(Pattern<T, F> group, Time
timeInterval)`. As timeInterval is a property between patterns and so it
makes sense to define this property when appending a new pattern. However,
the drawback is that we need to introduce a series of methods instead of
only one method.

We need also to make the semantic clear in a few corner cases, e.g.
- What's the semantic of `A.followedBy(B).times(3).partialWithin(1 min)`?
Doesn't it mean that all three B events should occur in 1 minute or only
the first B event should occur in 1 minute?
- What's the semantic of
`A.followedBy(GroupPattern.begin("B").followedBy("C")).partialWithin(1
min)``? Doesn't it mean that B and C should occur after A in 1 minute?

Besides, this FLIP only describes how the newly introduced API will be
used, however, it lacks details about how you will implement it. It doesn't
need to be very detailed, however, you should describe the basic ideas
behind it, e.g. how will you support A.notFollowedBy(B).partialWithin(1
min)? It could make sure that you have considered it thoroughly and also
makes others confident that this feature could be implemented in a clean
way.

Regards,
Dian