I had an offline discussion with Piotr and here is the summary. Please
correct me if I miss something, Piotr.

There are two things we would like to seek more opinions from the
community, so we can make progress on this FLIP.

1. The General pattern to add obligatory features to existing interfaces.
For interfaces exposed to the developers for implementation, they are
either intended to be *optional* or *obligatory. *While it is quite clear
about how to convey that intention when creating the interfaces, it is not
as commonly agreed when we are adding new features to an existing
interface. In general, Flink uses decorative interfaces when adding
optional features to existing interfaces. Both Piotr and I agree that looks
good.

Different opinions are mainly about how to add obligatory features to the
existing interfaces, probably due to different understandings of
"obligatory".

We have discussed about four options:

*Option 1:*

   - Just add a new method to the existing interface.
   - For backwards compatibility, the method would have a default
   implementation throwing "UnsupportedOperationException".
   - In the next major version, remove the default implementation.
   - For the developers, any method with a default implementation throwing
   an "UnsupportedOperationException" should be taken as obligatory.

*Option 2:*

   - Always make the features optional by adding a decorative interface,
   just like ordinary optional features.
   - Inform the developers via documentation that this feature is
   obligatory, although it looks like optional from the code.
   - In case the developers did not implement the decorative interface,
   throw an exception
   - In the next major version, move the methods in the decorative
   interface to the base interface, and deprecate the decorative interface.

*Option 3:*

   - Always bump the major version when a new obligatory feature is added,
   even if we may have to do it frequently.

*Option 4:*

   - Add a V2, V3... of the interface affected by the new obligatory
   feature.
   - In the next major versions, deprecate old versions of the interfaces.

Both Piotr and me agreed that option 3 and option 4 have a big side effect
and should be avoided. We have different preference between option 1 and
option 2.

Personally I prefer option 1, the reasons are:
  a) simple and intuitive. Java 8 introduced the default impl in interfaces
exactly for interface evolving, and this is a common pattern in many
projects.
  b) prominent to the developers that the feature is expected to be
implemented, because it explicitly throws an exception in the default impl.
  c) low maintenance overhead - the Flink framework can always assume the
method exists, so no special handling logic is needed.
  d) communicate a clear semantic boundary between optional and obligatory
features in the Flink to the developers.
      - Optional: Jobs still run without exception if these methods are not
implemented. e.g. all the SupportsXXXPushDown interfaces.
      - Obligatory: Jobs may fail if these methods are not implemented
properly. e..g SourceReader#pauseOrResumeSplits(). This is a common pattern
in Java, e.g. Iterator.remove() by default throws
"UnsupportedOperationException", informing the implementation that things
may go wrong if this method is not implemented.

As for option 2, Although the API itself sounds clean, it misleads people
to think of an obligatory feature to be optional - from the code the
feature is optional, but the documents say it is obligatory. We probably
should avoid such code-doc inconsistency, as people will be confused. And I
would actually be bewildered that sometimes not implementing an "optional"
feature is fine, but sometimes it causes the jobs to fail.

is always optional, if that is true, it actually means all the interfaces
should be immutable once they are created. If we want to add a method to an
existing interface, for backwards compatibility, we will have to provide a
default implementation. And the fact it has a default implementation
indicates the method is optional. If that method is optional, it should
reside in a separate decorative interface, otherwise it clogs that existing
interface. Therefore, people should never add a method to an existing
interface. I find this conclusion a bit extreme.

Piotr prefers option 2, his opinions are:
    a) Obligatory methods are the methods that fail the code compilation if
not implemented.
    b) All obligatory methods should reside in the base interface, without
a default implementation. And all the optional methods should be in
decorative interfaces. This is a clean API.
    c) due to b), there isn't a viable solution to add an obligatory method
to an existing interface in a backwards compatible way. Unless we are OK
with breaking backwards compatibility, all the interfaces should be treated
as immutable. As a compromise, we might as well just treat all the features
added later as optional features. This way we keep the API clean.
    d) based on b) and c), option 2 has a clean API, while option 1 does
not.
    e) It is OK that the code itself in option 2 indicates the developers
that a feature is optional. We will rely on the documentation to correct
that and clarify that the feature is actually obligatory.
    f) Regarding the effectiveness of making people aware that the feature
is obligatory, Option 1 and Option 2 are similar. For people that do not
read the release note / documentation, they will mistake the feature to be
optional anyways.

As for option 1: For developers, the feature is still optional due to the
default implementation in the interface, regardless of what the default
implementation does, because the code compiles without overriding these
methods. Also, another problem of this option is that for users that do not
know about the history of the interface, they may be confused by the
default implementation throwing an exception.

2. For this particular FLIP, should it be optional or not?
As mentioned in the previous email, I feel this FLIP should be obligatory,
for the following reasons:
1. The Flink framework exposes the watermark alignment API to the end
users. From the end users' perspective, the feature should be available
regardless of the implementation details in the pluggables. This is true
for any other methods exposed as the Flink API.
2. If a Source is not pausable, the end user should receive an exception
when enable the watermark alignment, (both Piotr and me agree on this). In
that case, it meets my criteria of obligatory feature because not
implementing the feature causes a framework API to throw exception and
fails the job.

On the other hand, Piotr does not have a strong opinion regarding whether
this feature should be optional or not.

Thanks for reading through this long email. So basically in order to make
progress on this FLIP, we want to see what do people feel about the above
two topics.

Thanks,

Jiangjie (Becket) Qin