To be honest I'm terrified at the idea of splitting the Dispatcher into several processes, even more so if this is supposed to be opt-in and specific to session mode. It would fragment the coordination layer even more than it already is, and make ops more complicated (yet another set of processes to monitor, configure etc.).

I'm not convinced that this proposal really gets us a lot of benefits; and would rather propose that you split your single session cluster into multiple session clusters (with the scheduling component in front of it to distribute jobs) to even the load.

> The currently idling JobManagers could be utilized to take over some of the workload from the leader.

This would also be the path I would go down if we'd try to tackle this.