Yanfei,

You caught a mistake on my part. I referenced the wrong KIP. That one is
for Kafka Streams, KIP-36 is the one for the regular client. I'll update
the referenced FLIP and its JIRA. This feature is already available in our
client, my team at work implemented it against the old Kafka Consumer API
earlier this year. We'd like to donate the implementation on the new API.

KIP-36

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/plugins/servlet/mobile?contentId=61321028#content/view/61321028