Thanks all for the feedback.

@Piotr/@Matthias my intention was to relax the support policy rather than
enforce patch releases to be performed immediately. I see pros and cons to
both, if we do not do the release immediately it may be dragged out, if we
enforce it, then it puts more burden on the release manager. A compromise
could be for the release manager to start the discussion thread and
volunteer to be release manager if they have capacity. We can update the
release process [1] to include this final step.

In summary I am proposing the following:
- Support policy += "Upon release of a new Flink minor version, the
community will perform one final bugfix release for resolved
critical/blocker issues in the Flink version losing support."
- Release process += Add a step to start the discussion thread for the
final 1.n-2 patch version, IF there are resolved critical/blocking issues.

To clarify, major/minor bug fixes are out of scope of this policy.

If we are aligned I will start a vote thread.

Thanks,
Danny

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/Creating+a+Flink+Release