I agree with Jingsong and Becket.

Look at the legacy SourceFunction (a small part of DataStream API),
the SourceFunction is still not and can't be marked deprecated[1] until
now after the new Source was released 2 years ago, because the new Source
still can't fully consume the abilities of legacy API. Considering
DataStream
API is the most fundamental and complex API of Flink, I think it is worth
a longer time than the general process for the deprecation period to
wait for the new API be mature. The above 2 options sound a bit of rush
for such a widely used API.

I fully understand the concern of maintenance overhead, but it's a bit hard
for others to estimate maintenance costs without a concrete design and code
of the new ProcessFunction API. I agree with Becket that maybe we can
re-evaluate the API deprecation process once we have the new ProcessFunction
API. If the maintenance is indeed huge, I think it is reasonable to have a
special rule for this case at that time.

Best,
Jark

[1]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-28045