@Zhanghao Chen:

I am not completely sure at this point what this will mean for 2.0 simply
because I am also not sure what that will mean for the operator as well :)
I think this will depend on the compatibility guarantees we can provide
across Flink major versions in general. We have to look into that and
tackle the question there independently.

Gyula