Thanks Zhanghao, Dewei for preparing the FLIP,

I think this is a long awaited feature, and I appreciate your effort,
especially the "Other concerns" part you listed.

Regarding the parallelism of transformations following the source
transformation, it's indeed a problem that we initially want to solve
when we introduced this feature internally. I'd like to hear more
opinions on this. Personally I'm ok to leave it out of this FLIP for
the time being.

Chen Zhanghao <zhanghao.c...@outlook.com> 于2023年9月14日周四 14:46写道:

> Hi Devs,
>
> Dewei (cced) and I would like to start a discussion on FLIP-367: Support
> Setting Parallelism for Table/SQL Sources [1].
>
> Currently, Flink Table/SQL jobs do not expose fine-grained control of
> operator parallelism to users. FLIP-146 [2] brings us support for setting
> parallelism for sinks, but except for that, one can only set a default global
> parallelism and all other operators share the same parallelism. However, in
> many cases, setting parallelism for sources individually is preferable:
>
> - Many connectors have an upper bound parallelism to efficiently ingest data.
> For example, the parallelism of a Kafka source is bound by the number of
> partitions, any extra tasks would be idle.
> - Other operators may involve intensive computation and need a larger
> parallelism.
>
> We propose to improve the current situation by extending the current table
> source API to support setting parallelism for Table/SQL sources via connector
> options.
>
> Looking forward to your feedback.
>
> [1] FLIP-367: Support Setting Parallelism for Table/SQL Sources - Apache
> Flink - Apache Software
> Foundation<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=263429150>
> [2] FLIP-146: Improve new TableSource and TableSink interfaces - Apache Flink
> - Apache Software
> Foundation<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/FLIP-146%3A+Improve+new+TableSource+and+TableSink+interfaces>
>
> Best,
> Zhanghao Chen