Hi Jiabao,

Please see the replies inline.

Introducing common configurations does not mean that all sources must
> accept these configuration options.
> The configuration options supported by a source are determined by the
> requiredOptions and optionalOptions in the Factory interface.

This is not true. Both required and optional options are SUPPORTED. That
means they are implemented and if one specifies an optional config it will
still take effect. An OptionalConfig is "Optional" because this
configuration has a default value. Hence, it is OK that users do not
specify their own value. In another word, it is "optional" for the end
users to set the config, but the implementation and support for that config
is NOT optional. In case a source does not support a common config, an
exception must be thrown when the config is provided by the end users.
However, the config we are talking about in this FLIP is a common config
optional to implement, meaning that sometimes the claimed behavior won't be
there even if users specify that config.

Similar to sources that do not implement the LookupTableSource interface,
> sources that do not implement the SupportsFilterPushDown interface also do
> not need to accept newly introduced options.

First of all, filter pushdown is a behavior of the query optimizer, not the
behavior of Sources. The Sources tells the optimizer that it has the
ability to accept pushed down filters by implementing the
SupportsFilterPushDown interface. And this is the only contract between the
Source and Optimizer regarding whether filters should be pushed down. As
long as a specific source implements this decorative interface, filter
pushdown should always take place, i.e.
*SupportsFilterPushDown.applyFilters()* will be called. There should be no
other config to disable that call. However, Sources can decide how to
behave based on their own configurations after *applyFilters()* is called.
And these configs are specific to those sources, instead of common configs.
Please see the examples I mentioned in the previous email.

Thanks,

Jiangjie (Becket) Qin