Hi Xintong,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

1. Regarding Record-ordered and State-ordered of processElement.

> I understand that while State-ordered likely provides better performance,
> Record-ordered is sometimes required for correctness. The question is how
> should a user choose between these two modes? My concern is that such a
> decision may require users to have in-depth knowledge about the Flink
> internals, and may lead to correctness issues if State-ordered is chosen
> improperly.
>
> I'd suggest not to expose such a knob, at least in the first version. That
> means always use Record-ordered for custom operators / UDFs, and keep
> State-ordered for internal usages (built-in operators) only.

Indeed, users may not be able to choose the mode properly. I agree to keep
such options for internal use.

2. Regarding Strictly-ordered and Out-of-order of Watermarks.

> I'm not entirely sure about Strictly-ordered being the default, or even
> being supported. From my understanding, a Watermark(T) only suggests that
> all records with event time before T has arrived, and it has nothing to do
> with whether records with event time after T has arrived or not. From that
> perspective, preventing certain records from arriving before a Watermark is
> never supported. I also cannot come up with any use case where
> Strictly-ordered is necessary. This implies the same issue as 1): how does
> the user choose between the two modes?
>
> I'd suggest not expose the knob to users and only support Out-of-order,
> until we see a concrete use case that Strictly-ordered is needed.

The semantics of watermarks do not define the sequence between a watermark
and subsequent records. For the most part, this is inconsequential, except
it may affect some current users who have previously relied on the implicit
assumption of an ordered execution. I'd be fine with initially supporting
only out-of-order processing. We may consider exposing the
'Strictly-ordered' mode once we encounter a concrete use case that
necessitates it.

My philosophies behind not exposing the two config options are:
> - There are already too many options in Flink that barely know how to use
> them. I think Flink should try as much as possible to decide its own
> behavior, rather than throwing all the decisions to the users.
> - It's much harder to take back knobs than to introduce them. Therefore,
> options should be introduced only if concrete use cases are identified.

I agree to keep minimal configurable items especially for the MVP. Given
that we have the opportunity to refine the functionality before the
framework transitions from @Experimental to @PublicEvolving, it makes sense
to refrain from presenting user-facing options until we have ensured
their necessity.

Best,
Zakelly