Hi everyone,

this is a very important change to the Flink SQL syntax but we can't wait until the SQL standard is ready for this. So I'm +1 on introducing the MODEL concept as a first class citizen in Flink.

For your information: Over the past months I have already spent a significant amount of time thinking about how we can introduce PTFs in Flink. I reserved FLIP-440[1] for this purpose and I will share a version of this in the next 1-2 weeks.

For a good implementation of FLIP-440 and also FLIP-437, we should evolve the PTF syntax in collaboration with Apache Calcite.

There are different syntax versions out there:

1) Flink

SELECT * FROM
  TABLE(TUMBLE(TABLE Bid, DESCRIPTOR(bidtime), INTERVAL '10' MINUTES));

2) SQL standard

SELECT * FROM
  TABLE(TUMBLE(TABLE(Bid), DESCRIPTOR(bidtime), INTERVAL '10' MINUTES));

3) Oracle

SELECT * FROM
   TUMBLE(Bid, COLUMNS(bidtime), INTERVAL '10' MINUTES));

As you can see above, Flink does not follow the standard correctly as it would need to use `TABLE()` but this is not provided by Calcite yet.

I really like the Oracle syntax[2][3] a lot. It reduces necessary keywords to a minimum. Personally, I would like to discuss this syntax in a separate FLIP and hope I will find supporters for:

SELECT * FROM
  TUMBLE(TABLE Bid, DESCRIPTOR(bidtime), INTERVAL '10' MINUTES);

If we go entirely with the Oracle syntax, as you can see in the example, Oracle allows for passing identifiers directly. This would solve our problems for the MODEL as well:

SELECT f1, f2, label FROM ML_PREDICT(
  data => `my_data`,
  model => `classifier_model`,
  input => DESCRIPTOR(f1, f2));

Or we completely adopt the Oracle syntax:

SELECT f1, f2, label FROM ML_PREDICT(
  data => `my_data`,
  model => `classifier_model`,
  input => COLUMNS(f1, f2));

What do you think?

Happy to create a FLIP for just this syntax question and collaborate with the Calcite community on this. Supporting the syntax of Oracle shouldn't be too hard to convince at least as parser parameter.

Regards,
Timo

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/%5BWIP%5D+FLIP-440%3A+User-defined+Polymorphic+Table+Functions [2] https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/oracle/oracle-database/19/arpls/DBMS_TF.html#GUID-0F66E239-DE77-4C0E-AC76-D5B632AB8072
[3] https://oracle-base.com/articles/18c/polymorphic-table-functions-18c